Turkish Digest Advertising Rates

Annual Advertising options

Friday, April 22, 2005

Old foes, new friends - World - www.smh.com.au

"Out of a bloody battlefield, Australians and Turks have forged a remarkable friendship. John Huxley traces its evolution.
Though it happened 30 years ago, Nazmiye Iyidilli still recalls clearly the moment she was first made aware of the meaning of Anzac Day. She was working at an electrical products factory in Darlinghurst, her first job since arriving in Australia from Turkey, when she was approached by the foreman.
'He walked up to me and said, 'You know your grandad killed my grandad.' I looked at him, surprised, and said, 'What?' He said, 'Your grandad. He killed my grandad. At Gallipoli.' No, he was not joking. I could see he was very angry.
'I looked at him, and asked him what his grandfather was doing there, thousands of miles from his own country. I was very confused. I had seen Anzac mentioned in the history books, but I did not really know who these people were, or what this thing was."

More:Old foes, new friends - World - www.smh.com.au