Turkish Digest Advertising Rates

Annual Advertising options

Sunday, April 23, 2006

CourierPress: Birds provided soundtrack for Turkish travels

"Birds provided soundtrack for Turkish travels

By SHARON SORENSON, For the Birds
April 23, 2006

A recent cultural-historical trip to Turkey taught me much about birds but filled me with questions. As a minority of one among our tour group, I nevertheless couldn't resist tracking sources of bird songs and following bird flights, curious about avian life half a world away.

Without surprise, we noted that ubiquitous house sparrows, starlings and pigeons inhabited cityscapes as readily and frequently there as here. Interestingly, however, even though I'd never seen 42 of the 56 bird species I identified there, bill-body shapes readily distinguished bird families, which world-over show certain similarities - in appearance, behavior and/or song."

More:CourierPress: Lifestyle