Turkish Digest Advertising Rates

Annual Advertising options

Monday, October 31, 2011

My first day in 'Almanya'

My first day in 'Almanya'

Bahaeddin Güngör

Baha Güngör heads Deutsche Welle's Turkish Program
DW's Baha Güngör came to Germany from Turkey - where everyone told him the Germans would be good to him - when he was a child. He remembers the long journey 50 years ago, and recounts how his life unfolded in Almanya.

"You're going to Germany" - time and again, my teacher, my neighbors in Istanbul's Üsküdar district, our local grocer "Bakkal" Ahmet told me: "Germany is good, the Germans are our friends, Germans are good people." They all spoke well of the Germans and Germany: Germans are "friends", "brothers in arms", "industrious" and "disciplined." There were days when I could hardly wait to go to "Almanya" - to be reunited with my parents who had left for Germany three years earlier.

More:My first day in 'Almanya' | Germany | Deutsche Welle | 31.10.2011