Turkish Digest Advertising Rates

Annual Advertising options

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Social Media in Turkey-Circumventing Censorship - Qantara.de

Social Media in Turkey- Circumventing Censorship

A growing number of young Turks are turning to social media, complaining that mainstream media are being increasingly controlled by the government. Dorian Jones reports from Istanbul

Sitting in a busy cafe in downtown Istanbul, Hale holds her Blackberry, while sipping tea, and checks the latest events in Turkey. "I am trying not to use the phone to check Twitter," says Hale, "I only check for hot news, or something urgent. But I check newspaper sites less now because I get most of my information from Twitter. You have blogs, you have news sites. So, I don't care what the mainstream media does," she says.

More:Circumventing Censorship - Qantara.de