Turkish Digest Advertising Rates

Annual Advertising options

Friday, March 29, 2013

Krisanne Alcantara: Beyond The Doner: Finding 'Real' Turkish Food In Istanbul

Beyond The Doner: Finding 'Real' Turkish Food In Istanbul
Posted: 03/29/2013 8:07 am

Before going to Istanbul, I knew little about Turkish cuisine beyond doner kebabs and Turkish delight. Much like stereotypical "Australian food," these misconceptions were uninformed and simplistic, yet not exactly horrible (lamb on a spit? What's not to love?). Still, I figured my three-day trip to the heart of the Ottoman empire was a good opportunity to finally learn about authentic Turkish cuisine. That, and I watched Anthony Bourdain guzzle some kind of honey-drizzled cream thing on the Istanbul episode of "No Reservations" and decided I could no longer go on living without knowing such rapture.

More:Krisanne Alcantara: Beyond The Doner: Finding 'Real' Turkish Food In Istanbul