Turkish Digest Advertising Rates

Annual Advertising options

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Reporters on the Job

"Reporters on the Job

Holy Mayors, Batman! Batman (Turkey) mayor Huseyin Kalkan loves to talk to reporters, but his staff – probably aware of his reputation for saying outlandish things – apparently is trying to keep him away from the press. When correspondent Yigal Schleifer called in the morning to ask for an interview, the mayor's assistant said he would not be available that day. 'A few hours later, I saw an official-looking car by the side of a muddy construction site that was being inspected by men in suits. It turned out one was the mayor. I quickly ran over and introduced myself. I could see one of his staff wince, foiled by my serendipitous encounter.'"

More:Reporters on the Job | csmonitor.com