Turkish Digest Advertising Rates

Annual Advertising options

Sunday, July 03, 2005

A genuine solution for Cyprus

"Comment - A genuine solution for Cyprus
By Steve Kordas

BEFORE I start, I would like to introduce myself: I was born and raised in Athens, served my military term in Cyprus in the early 1970s and am now the managing director of the Treasury trading section at JP Morgan Chase (London). As an economist, I believe that our Greek Cypriot kinsmen appear to be drifting away from certain realities in Cyprus that may materialise into a serious issue for them if they do not grab hold of the opportunities of today.

Whether we believe it or not, Turkey will one day become a European Union member state. No matter how many times they are slapped in the face or undermined by the present EU countries and governments, I have no doubt that Turkey will eventually become a full member. The issue relating to Cyprus, however, is the concerning factor that President Tassos Papadopoulos appears to ignore, or is too hesitant to make the first political and historical moves to resolve."

More:A genuine solution for Cyprus