Turkish Digest Advertising Rates

Annual Advertising options

Wednesday, November 02, 2016

A pull effect for nationalists is a push effect for democrats in Turkey - BARÇIN YİNANÇ

A pull effect for nationalists is a push effect for democrats in Turkey

I first met the journalist Kadri Gürsel more than 20 years ago. But I got to know him better after I moved to Istanbul from Ankara in 2005, when I began to see him more frequently. Each time we met, developments in Turkey had taken a worse turn than they were in our previous meetings. I kept arguing that Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s policies were not sustainable, and there would be a limit to democratic backpedaling because Turkey remained anchored to the European Union. Most of all, I had faith in Turkey’s own democratic forces.

More:A pull effect for nationalists is a push effect for democrats in Turkey - BARÇIN YİNANÇ