Turkish Digest Advertising Rates

Annual Advertising options

Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Touring Turkey's Synagogues – Forward.com

Touring Turkey's Synagogues
Davening on the Bosphorus and Beyond

Leon Elnekave, the affable leader of the dwindling Jewish community of Bursa, Turkey’s old Ottoman capital, met my wife and me on a narrow, cobbled lane and unlocked the black wrought iron gate to the 500-year-old Gerush Synagogue. As he led us into the landscaped courtyard, my wife, Sallie, suddenly began to cry. “I don’t know what it is,” she said, “but I feel like I’ve been here before.” An odd reaction, I thought to myself, for an American woman who converted to Judaism from Presbyterianism in middle age. But immersing yourself in a mystical place like this can provoke unexpected emotions.

More:Touring Turkey's Synagogues – Forward.com