Turkish Digest Advertising Rates

Annual Advertising options

Monday, July 18, 2011

Being Jewish in Turkey, before and after the Mavi Marmara (part 2 of 2)

"Being Jewish in Turkey, before and after the Mavi Marmara (part 2 of 2)
On 07.18.11, By Max

Yesterday I published the first of two interviews I conducted with Turkish Jews during a brief trip to Istanbul. The first interview is here. In the second, I spoke with “B,” a media professional in her late 20’s who studied at a liberal arts college in the United States. As with “E,” B was adamant that I not reveal her identity, telling me that she was “really scared” of complicating her situation at work. In our interview, B expressed the same cultural outlook as E and a similar attitude to Israel: while she complained that its actions towards the Palestinians affect her negatively as a Jew in a Muslim majority nation, the situation remains abstract and disconnected from her identity. In both cases, I found my interview subjects to be wise beyond their years. “I never took security for granted,” B told me. “I’m more ready for battle than [Americans]. So it’s completely logical that I would survive more easily in a challenging situation.”"

More:Being Jewish in Turkey, before and after the Mavi Marmara (part 2 of 2)