Turkish Digest Advertising Rates

Annual Advertising options

Thursday, November 27, 2014

How Strong Is the U.S. Friendship with the Kurds? - The New Yorker

How Strong Is the U.S. Friendship with the Kurds?
By Elliot Ackerman

A couple of weeks ago, I was preparing to head back to Turkey from Erbil, in northern Iraq. I had spent the past few days in and around the city, visiting the Kurdish peshmerga’s front lines against the Islamic State in Iraq and al-Sham (ISIS). Matt, my travel companion on this trip, had lived in the semiautonomous Kurdish region during the Iraq War, spending two years working at the American University of Iraq, in Sulaymaniyah, a neighboring city. After we checked out of our hotel, he insisted that we stop by the Citadel of Erbil. I’d never been, and he said that it’d be a crime if I didn’t see it.

More:How Strong Is the U.S. Friendship with the Kurds? - The New Yorker