Turkish Digest Advertising Rates

Annual Advertising options

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Kassandra Fotiadis: My Summer in Turkey

My Summer in Turkey
Posted: 08/30/2012 9:16 am

This summer, I received a scholarship from the U.S. government to study in Turkey for seven weeks. My parents reacted with nothing but whoops of excitement and proud smiles as they told their friends; everyone else, however, was impressed, but immediately concerned for my safety. According to them, I had three things working against me: I was American, I was Christian, and I was Greek. Going to Turkey would be dangerous, they thought. I could see the visions of the film Midnight Express and the memory of 9/11 running through their brains as I told them that I would be living in a country that was 99.9 percent Muslim. I took my cross off from around my neck at JFK airport and packed floor-length skirts and shawls, ready, but somewhat nervous, to embark on my adventure.

More:Kassandra Fotiadis: My Summer in Turkey