"Repatriation of Meskhetian Turks: An Issue to Be Handled with Care
In another life I worked in Kazakhstan where, according to some estimates, more than 90,000 Meskhetian Turks live. One day after work I hailed down a “gypsy taxi” on my way home in the city of Almaty. The first car stopped. The driver did not have the usual Asian Kazakhstani features. I asked him in Russian: “Where are you from?' 'I am from Kazakhstan, I was born here but my parents are Meskhetians,” he answered. I thought: at last, after hearing and reading so much about these people, I am in the presence of a ‘real’ Meskhetian. “Do you want to return to Georgia” I asked. “Of course not, I was born here, I have a family and know nothing about Georgia.”"
More:The Georgian Times on the Web: Comprehensive news site, daily international, national and local news coverage , breaking news updates, sports, reviews.