Turkish Digest Advertising Rates

Annual Advertising options

Friday, June 29, 2007

Parting the Veil » The Moderate Voice

"Parting the Veil

By Michael van der Galien

I had the opportunity to review an article by Shadi Hamid, Project on Middle East Democracy’s Director of Research, called “Parting the Veil.” It is well worth the read, I checked at the articles section at POMED, but they didn’t publish it online yet, I am sure they will later. I will keep an eye on it, and when they do, I will let you know. For now, some thoughts on this article.

“Parting the Veil” is an interesting, thought provoking read. I cannot say that I agree with everything Hamid writes, but he makes some good points, and raises some interesting questions.

The main point the author makes is that the West - better, the US - should stop disenfranchising and isolating Islamist movements such as the Muslim Brotherhood. According to Hamid, there is only one way forward in the Middle East: and that’s by promoting Democracy there."

More:Parting the Veil » The Moderate Voice