Turkish Digest Advertising Rates

Annual Advertising options

Friday, February 19, 2016

The EU's plan to stop the next wave of Syrian refugees

Turkey and the EU plan to stop the next wave of Syrian refugees

Critics assert that the EU is trying to buy its way out of the refugee crisis

Adnan R. Khan

February 19, 2016

Muhammad al Ahmed can recount the exact moment he felt freed from the grip of the Syrian civil war. It was the early morning of Jan. 30, and he had taken his tentative first steps out of his family home in a middle-class suburb of Damascus. Ahead lay the dangerous journey on the refugee trail to Europe, behind the ruin of unyielding conflict. “I had no idea where my life would lead me,” says the 25-year-old electrician, slumped over a steaming cup of black tea in an Istanbul café. “I knew I would have to start from zero, in a strange place where I don’t speak the language. But nothing could be as bad as Syria.”

More:The EU's plan to stop the next wave of Syrian refugees