Turkish Digest Advertising Rates

Annual Advertising options

Saturday, September 26, 2015

Turkey major conduit for Syrian 'blood antiquities' - Al-Monitor: the Pulse of the Middle East

Turkey major conduit for Syrian 'blood antiquities'

As I sat down to have a drink in Istanbul's Grand Bazaar, a tall man in his early 20s came in. He approached a nearby table, and in broken Arabic, introduced himself as Ahmad to the head of the family seated there. He then asked if they might be interested in seeing some of Syria's ancient history. The conversation ended promptly, as the family left the coffee shop. Ahmad then approached me, saying, “Americans are the best customers for art, would you like to look at some photos?” I asked where the antiquities were from and where they were being stored. He said he did not know. He would take my phone number, and his friends could help me.

More:Turkey major conduit for Syrian 'blood antiquities' - Al-Monitor: the Pulse of the Middle East