Turkish Digest Advertising Rates

Annual Advertising options

Sunday, July 12, 2015

How to explain what is happening in Turkey to Europeans

How to explain what is happening in Turkey to Europeans

July 12, 2015, Sunday/ 14:42:34/ SAMİM AKGÖNÜL

Today, I received a phone call from a journalist working for a very famous French daily.

He asked me for my prediction on a possible early election. As a person who has had election fever since my teens, I started to give my views on the possibilities with enthusiasm: If party A forms a coalition with party B, party B will lose its voters whilst parties C and D in the opposition will increase their ratio… While delivering my prophecies as an “expert in Turkish politics” with my compelling arguments (!) a little tiny voice was growing inside me: “What in the world are you talking about? Not everything is about election strategy. Stop!” I stopped. There is a country with huge internal and external problems and to repeat an election whose results will be similar to the current situation is NOT one of them.

More:How to explain what is happening in Turkey to Europeans