Turkish Digest Advertising Rates

Annual Advertising options

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Ming Holden: Quotes From Istanbul: the Writers and Literary Translators International Congress

"Quotes From Istanbul: the Writers and Literary Translators International Congress

So I ostensibly live in Indiana at the moment, but this funny thing happened earlier this month where I was in Istanbul with a bunch of literary translators.

The Writers and Literary Translators International Congress (WALTIC) began as a brainchild of the Swedish Writers Union and inaugurated in Stockholm in 2008. I was there with my boss, the Mongolian Writers Union Director Khaidav Chilaajav, to present a paper on Mongolian poetry on his behalf. (Just when I thought my Henry Luce year couldn't get better, I was in Stockholm meeting Philip Pullman in the gold room where they give out the Nobel Prize for literature. I was 23, and it rendered pretty much everything that's happened since then lackluster in comparison. I nerded Pullman hard. I nerded so hard the poor man actually ran away from me.) The Congress identified several goals and priorities, among them the international safeguarding of freedom of expression and increasing literacy."

More:Ming Holden: Quotes From Istanbul: the Writers and Literary Translators International Congress